The National Rosacea Society has conducted surveys of rosacea sufferers to offer insights into the effect on social life.
In a survey of 660 rosacea patients:
– 57% said they had been stared at and that rude comments or jokes had been made about their appearance.
Of those with severe rosacea:
# 86% said the condition limited their social lives
# 74% reported they avoided public contact or cancelled a social event because of a flare-up
# 44% found creating new relationships difficult
Of those with moderate rosacea:
- 67% said their social lives were inhibited
- 42% said they cancelled a social event
- 44% said they found it hard to create new relationships.
Of those with mild rosacea:
- 38% said their social lives were inhibited
- 18% cancelled social engagements
- 19% found it hard to create new relationships